Saturday, October 20, 2012

Garlic Galore!




GARLIC!!!
Finally received my order from Burpee.  First time I've ordered garlic through the mail and this will only be the second time I've planted it.  This online article was what I based my garlic variety choice on: http://www.motherearthnews.com/grow-it/red-heirloom-garlic-zb0z11zsch.aspx.  I wanted to try an heirloom of both softneck and hardneck variety and see which one performed best overwintered in Oklahoma.  Chose organic Inchelium Red and Organic German Red. Overwinter in Oklahoma and planted a month late according to most of the online advise I've read so far. Wish my compost had turned out better.  I basically have two large trashcans full of maggots at the moment.  Absolutely disgusting and something that I have not informed my wife about. Made the mistake of not turning it often and letting it get way too moist over the not-so-brutal summer. But I'll have to add some nitrogen rich fertilizer to the recently planted garlic before I mulch it for winter.